Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Election 2011

Message from Elections Canada

A federal election is being held on Monday, May 2, 2011 and if you meet certain conditions, you can vote when you are temporarily living or travelling outside Canada.

If you are a Canadian citizen who is 18 years or older on election day, you can vote by special ballot by mail if you:

Can provide proof of identity and residence in Canada


If you have lived outside of Canada for less than five consecutive years (or longer if you meet certain employment-based criteria);
have lived in Canada at anytime before making the application;


intend to return to live in Canada.

For more information on eligibility criteria and how to apply and vote by special ballot by mail, go to the Elections Canada website at www.elections.ca and click on "Other ways to vote".  Special ballot application forms are also available at any Canadian diplomatic or consular office or by contacting Elections Canada at 1-866-222-2565 (toll free in Canada and the United States) or 01-613-949-7502 (from anywhere in the world - collect calls are accepted.)

Register early! Your completed application form and identification documents must be received at Elections Canada in Ottawa by 6:00 pm (EDT) on April 26, 2011.  You are responsible for allowing enough time for EC to send a special ballot voting kit and for you to return your ballot before the deadline of 6:00 pm (EDT) on election day - May 2, 2011.